moocow

Author Topic: E-Liquid turning dark in tank ?  (Read 5978 times)

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
  • Ride on . Vape strong !
E-Liquid turning dark in tank ?
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:42:18 pm »
Hello all !
I've read a lot of the forums and I havent come across this happening yet and its something I may not even need to worry about , but I'll ask anyway .

I have had this set-up for about a week now and have noticed when I smoke RY4 , the only liquid smoke I have tried so far, that it almost consistently turns an amber color at about halfway through using a tank , still seems to puff fine , , but there is more of a caramelly flavor as the tank emptys too .

I am using a Joyetech Ego-T upgrade battery on standard voltage , an "A" style atomizer that has been in use about 15mL of liquid and the small 1.1 mL mouthpiece . I am using the RY4 PG from LF , 24 mG conc.

I am wondering if this is from the atty becoming fouled and showing signs of needing cleaning .

I have read to take steady gentle puffs because the first tank I had a fair amount of fluid escape into the atomizer , then caught that topic here in the forum . Since then very minimal leakage due to user error . I am a reforming pipe smoker so an occasional hard draw just happens , old habits die hard !

Question is, is this normal or a symptom that something else I am not aware of is going on ? I am guessing some liquid that gets to the wick as it vapourizes does turn darker , is it possible some of that liquid is being drawn back into the tank during use ?

Thank you in anticipation of your thoughts on this . Cheers !

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
  • ƃuoɹʍ oƃ ʎlqıssod plnoɔ ʇɐɥʍ
Re: E-Liquid turning dark in tank ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:47:20 pm »
It's nothing to worry about, the feeder wick is in contact with the coil and the liquid at the same time. As you vapourise liquid, it leaves behind a dark gunk on the coil which is soluble so finds it's way back into the tank very gradually. It is a sign the it's working well and won't cause any real harm but you can clean it in warm water and make sure it's properly dry before use.

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:58:49 pm »
Indigo ,
Thank you for the speedy answer !!
I thought that might be whats happening , but wanted to ask the more experienced crowd here about it .
I'll save you a Newcastle if you ever get out this way , on number 2 now and things are pretty cheery here !!

Cheers ! and thank you again ! 8)

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:00:05 pm »
 :D No problem, anytime  ;)

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:43:38 pm »
Just saw Fluidjuice's post about the same thing , guess I should learn to be a bit more discerning , lol Doh !

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »
It's a question that comes up every now and then and always a subject for debate. most devices that you can see your liquid in will have the same problem except for carto tanks, these avoid that issue altogether and your juice stays clean but most people are moving away from carto's now for a variety of reasons.

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 10:46:44 pm »
I read in here somewhere about cleaning an atty with alcohol .
Its not so much that there is a problem now with my atomizer , but as a by-product of vaporisation there will be some carbonisation of carrier and nicotine on the element , isnt that , besides oxidation , what leads to element failure ? the build up of residues causes more heat to be trapped on the element ad-naseum eventually leading to a failure or at least , an unpalatable experience as far as vaping ?

I swapped out the atty and soaked it in Vodka , there was a fair amount of discolouration (assuming from the wick and element) that soon appeared in the  "cleaning agent" (approximate volume of Vodka , 1 jigger american) .
My reasoning behind this is if LF guarantees the atty for 30 Ml and I have put  , more or less , 15 ml through it already , it would be like changing the spark plugs on your car before they foul out . I havent seen anything on why atomizers fail , but guessing it is from build up of vaporisation and oxidation of the wire or elements , both are bad for the life of a resistive heating element .

Being a Noob to vaping , there are nuances I have not made connections with yet , but I see many similarities drawn in just basic physics that do apply , some of you guys in the modding forums talk about using wire of differing guages and materials to achieve different performances , Ie , currents , surface heat , power drain etc , (thats called Watt density much as relative humidity is referred to as dew point as an absolute in reference to ambient moisture) , but I stray from the subject .

I am hoping ,, that a regular regimen of cleaning may extend the pleasant utilization of the atomizers greatly and lead to an even more enjoyable vaping experience . I have had a few unusual personal hobbies that I enjoyed as much as I am beginning to enjoy vaping (just ordered 500 ml of pg so I can vape twice as much and still get the same nic-fix).
I am of a mind that I can be quite satisfied with a mid level set up (if mine can be called that ?) if it performs to my needs and wants . Even BETTER if I can get it to do that at a significant cost efficiency !
Not looking for validation in the sense of economy , more than inquiring if I am trying to re-invent the wheel as it were , LOL

But , I am wondering , am I trying to re-invent something that has already been done here ?

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 10:55:06 pm »
Please do not ask me about my other personal hobbies , as they are most likely not for those unaccustomed to adult situations or may seem unbecoming to an old fart like myself .
8)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:29:38 pm by ddavitt »

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 11:38:54 pm »
You could invest in a hand held steamer to clean atties, I believe they do a very good job. One thing that wil extend their life is to keep them moist so after a good clean and thorough drying, put a drop of PG or VG on the coil before storage. Running them dry can shorten their life, the liquid helps to keep them cool. Oddly though, the only atties that I have had fail are those that I have just cleaned but I only clean them when they really need it, i.e. they don't perform well or there is a noticeable reduction in flavour or vapour. So they were not working too good before the cleaning.

Personal hobbies are what make people interesting  ;)

Offline El Zipster

• O M G
  • HF Dripper on a Provari TWICE!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:03:43 am »
Yep, I for one am interested in hearing about your other hobbies  ;) ;)
And I know for sure Niel will be LOL
Cheers
Zip

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 07:45:19 am »
Thank you for the tip about a handheld steamer , I dont currently have one , but looks like I will be in the market soon for one .
Being an amatuer student of physics I can see the superiority of using steam as a cleaning method for several reasons . The heat makes the water vapor a better cleaning agent over cold vodka , the thermal cycling causes the element and buildup to expand and contract at different rates , causing stresses that loosen any carbonaceous build up due to differing expansion rates of metals and organics(residues) , and lastly there is some active scouring effect from live steam being introduced while all of the above is happening . It all boils down to a better job of cleaning , but as a beginner I am using what I have at hand , expecting to make mis-steps along the way and utilizing the experience of those more familiar to vaping than myself to goof up less and make the learning curve easier ! You guys rock !

I dont have any straight PG or VG at the moment , but have sourced  some USP grade  PG from a local pharmacy , I used a couple drops of the RY4 for re-wetting the wick after I blew out the vodka solvent but before allowing the atty to completely dry out . As  side note , I can order vaping supplies from LF and have them delivered in 2-3 days by post , but going down the street to a local pharmacy I have to wait a week for some plain PG ?!? Whats up with that !! LOL, not complaining, but it makes you think that across the board customer service isnt what it used to be , no matter which side of the pond you are on .

Now on to my Hobbies ; As an american I am not as familiar with "Proper English Culture" as I might be , so at the risk of offending everybody here , I am quite typically an american redneck , I like shooting firearms for sport , hunting and have quite a collection of primitive and modern weapons , even some I have made myself from natural materials (its called flintknapping) .
Being an old fart , the internet is new but fascinating to me , forums and the like are invaluable for gaining knowledge and making a common bond with those that have similar interests .

Related to the above stated interest I am also interested in a sport called paintball , where small calibre capsules of finger paint are projected upon willing participants in an effort to capture an objective . Grown-ups playing capture the flag !! Yes !! I mod the daylights out of my gear , nothing like the competition giving the once over to your equipment as you walk on to the field and smirking because you have a less expensive rig ,,,, and then smoking them in action !!! Its all about performance Baby !! Yes , I am competitive but realize there will be those that are better , willing to learn from my defeats as well as my victories!

Internet , I mentioned forums , but I discovered online games too ! I play a MMORPG called "World of Warcraft" . it is an online game similar to dungeons and dragons , not great at it , but I enjoy in immensley . I used to play a game called everquest along the same lines but in the last 5 years or so switched to WoW for its intuitive play style . Yes , I am online too much , I know , lol !
I've used the internet for research for many years , but just discovered that it can be utilised for fun as well (last 8 years?)

I drinks a bit , brews tend to give me heartburn so I tend to go with Liquor based pleasures , white russians , blind russians , screwdrivers Etc , but when I do go with a brew , Newcastle BA  (imported) or Genesse Cream (domestic) seem to be my go-to flavors , both ales and both very tasty ! Newcastle is 8 dollars american a six pack so it damned well better be good and it is !  :D

I am new here , so I will not go into the more or less purient(Sp?) interests that I pursue but rest assured , my interests there are alive and well !

Cheers !

I may not be as good as I once was , but I am good once as I ever was !!  8)

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:53:23 am »
A wide variety of interests indeed ! Flint Knapping has always fascinated me and is something I have wanted to learn for many years, a really useful skill.

Offline El Zipster

• O M G
  • HF Dripper on a Provari TWICE!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 02:39:58 pm »
WoW, that's one hell of a hobby list DDavitt  ;D
And I for one don't have any problems with you shooting guns at things, so long as it's not at ME LOL
Cheers
Zip

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 02:50:13 pm »
Zip , Thats what Paintball markers are for ! No better Sport than Hunting another person , especially one that happens to be hunting you too ! ;D Its a hobby I used to share with my Ex wife , for some rerason she loved it more than I did and was very good at it too ! when else can you talk smack and actually shoot your wife , or Vice-versa , and be friends at the end of it all ? LOL :P

Indigo , I learned flintknapping as a skill that I hoped I would never have to use for survival . Can make knives , spear points and arrow heads . They make very good displays in shadow boxes where an assortment of points and tools are set in a deep picture frame and hung on the wall much as a photograph would be , but truely 3 dimensional art ! I'll see if I can post some pictures in a while

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:10:43 pm by ddavitt »

nettles

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 03:29:04 pm »
Hi Ddavitt.
Many years ago, we were sent off paint-balling as a 'team building' exercise at work.  My only regret is that we took the money and went to the pub instead - I would have loved to do it!  But at least in the pub we were talking to each other!! 

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 04:13:07 pm »
Nettles , welcome to this thread !

I never understood paintball as a teambuilding excersise , but have heard of it .
 Unless your "Team" is matched with a similarly skilled team as oponents , its a no-win situation . speaking from years of playing here,,, I play recreationally when I can , there is a strict code of conduct , mostly centered around safety but if you can stealth up on another and whisper in their ear to surrender and they dont,,, well then I have no choice but to shoot you at point blank range , and yes it does sting even at 20 meters or so . surprisingly ,it has happened to me , but not often.

I think , if the whole gang you went with was of a mind to enjoy the comforts of a pub instead , then it was money well spent . personally , I would have gone and shot my co-workers but I am into that sort of thing . If you ever want to try out what we in america call "Woodsballing" and happen to be in the area I could arrange it , lol , providing you dont mind snuggling up to a cactus and sharing quarters with scorpions or rattlesnakes !! (it theoretically could happen) .

Cheers to you and everybody here !

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 04:15:24 pm »
I'm a pretty good shot at targets that don't move but hopeless when they are moving. Tried paintball a few times and I can tell you it hurts if you don't have everything protected ! I always get shot where I have no protection ! Tried clay pigeon shooting and was OK but no prizes, but I am great at targets at any distance. My brother is in the Hand Guns Association and actually has a teaching license, he's been doing it years and has had a lot of different guns.

nettles

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:24:36 pm »
Nettles , welcome to this thread !

I never understood paintball as a teambuilding excersise , but have heard of it .
 Unless your "Team" is matched with a similarly skilled team as oponents , its a no-win situation . speaking from years of playing here,,, I play recreationally when I can , there is a strict code of conduct , mostly centered around safety but if you can stealth up on another and whisper in their ear to surrender and they dont,,, well then I have no choice but to shoot you at point blank range , and yes it does sting even at 20 meters or so . surprisingly ,it has happened to me , but not often.

I think , if the whole gang you went with was of a mind to enjoy the comforts of a pub instead , then it was money well spent . personally , I would have gone and shot my co-workers but I am into that sort of thing . If you ever want to try out what we in america call "Woodsballing" and happen to be in the area I could arrange it , lol , providing you dont mind snuggling up to a cactus and sharing quarters with scorpions or rattlesnakes !! (it theoretically could happen) .

Cheers to you and everybody here !

Ooooh, not thanks, can't be doing with bugs and reptiles!  Thanks for the offer though ;)

In theory, I 'should' be ok at it - I was in the army cadets as a teenager, and was a 'marksman' - I had the highest shooting average in over 10 years when I was there :o  Even more surprising was that I hated the recoil and used to line it up and shut my eyes and look away before squeezing the trigger! LOL
I was the best shot, but had the worst method! LOLOL
One time we were out on a night exercise and we had blanks (obviously).  During the ambush, I was aiming at a branch in a tree (not allowed to aim at people) and someone got knocked out when I shot through the branch and it fell as they were crawling below! LOLOLOL
We were using adapted rifles from the army - SA80's I think they were - didnt have the automatic or semi automatic option!  My fave was when we were in Germany and we got to use the GPMG - I had never used an auto before, and did about 200 rounds in a couple of seconds!!   :o :o ;D ;D

Offline Indigo340

• O M G
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 04:32:02 pm »
OMG, images of Nettles with an automatic in my mind now  :o

nettles

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 04:32:37 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
bang bang bang  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mechanism

• O M G
  • Ⓛⓘⓑⓔⓡⓣⓨ Ⓕⓛⓘⓔⓡ
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 04:42:26 pm »
OMG, images of Nettles with an automatic in my mind now  :o

Yep, very glad I met Nettles so I can imagine it too ;D

Offline Cockney Rebel

• O M G
  • Namaste. I am going to be a criminal
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 04:44:32 pm »
Nettles - Tomb raider

nettles

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »
LOL - I was a good few stone lighter then, and a LOT fitter, so I probably could have managed to pull it off!  ;)

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 04:59:58 pm »
OMG !!! I have never been in a fire fight with a full auto , but from your description I dont want to be either !!!  A night out shooting paintball at the local indoor arena would consist of 200 to 2000 rounds spread over about 4 hours of 15 minute "Matches" . full auto was not allowed

as far as insects and reptiles , they enjoy your company as much as you enjoy theirs , so no worries there for the most part .

I used to be quite active in black powder shooting sports , and the local law enforcement orginasations liked to come up to our shooting range and practice , that got me into shooting combat courses which I greatly enjoy , but have some deficiencies as far as self preservation (think of the "Shoot , dont Shoot" program run about 20 years ago on an american network , I shot a mentally challenged adult in a hypothetical situation ) , that one instance has profoundly affected me , but not changed my core values ,if that makes any sense ..

Nettles , git your gear together , I'll be your guardian angel for paintball , and yes , I am qualified !

Cheers!

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 05:09:52 pm »
this thread has gotten greatly off topic , but am enjoying in immensly !
Cheers !

Offline Cockney Rebel

• O M G
  • Namaste. I am going to be a criminal
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »
actually 10 posts on topic is a bit of a record  :)

nettles

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 05:13:08 pm »
LOL - stick around kiddo - this thread did well to last so long in the first place! LOL
I was at the range with the auto - we were staying with the grenadier guards in Germany - oh there was this officer, OMG he was soooooooooooo fit!  I fell in love at first sight! LOL
He was prob about 24 or 25 and I was 14, but hey - I would have given it a go! LOL

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 05:14:17 pm »
I am not complaining in any way ! enjoying the conversations and getting to know the members here ! 8)

nettles

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 05:15:41 pm »
you are fitting in really well - its good to get to know a bit about you too.  ;D ;D
glad you are not complaining, thats my job - I complain about how much Cookie is making me spend!!  :P

Offline ddavitt

• God Like
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 05:22:41 pm »
LOL ! I think I am learning to spend on my own , I dont require others prompting !

So much to learn and enjoy here , no worries I will eventually hit my stride .